Monday, July 24, 2006

First broadcast from the home office in Richmond Hill. And let me start off by saying I can't find anywhere in this damned town where I can drink coffee on a patio that isn't a Starbucks or facing a major road. Nothing like a 5 dollar cup of coffee and a lung full of exhaust. There endeth the bitching about the burbs. And to prove that it's not all bad up here, I am really looking forward to dining on some Korean BBQ and locating an Indian restaurant someone recommended to me. And while I'm at it, dim sum in Markham will be terrific too.

The move was a farce. I was stupid-hot. That means I was so hot I dropped 40 IQ points and neglected to think things thru: not enough boxes, not enough time to purge myself of excess clothes and books, trash the magazines. Just stupid stuff that resulted in a chaotic start to the Saturday move. But Trev, Steve, Jen, and Randy all came through for me, helping me quick-pack the essentials (I'll go back for the rest). As a couple of them said, I am entitled to one free move, and that was it. From here on out it's professionals. And this isn't the forum to name call the one guy who no-showed without a phonecall after Blackberrying me that he promised to be there. Nosireeebob, the internet is not for name calling. Nimrod.

Some odds and ends from the move:

My friends gave my some interesting advice that never occured to me: make the bedroom just a bedroom, and claim some basement space as my home office. That way I go to the bedroom to rest, not to mess around on the internet until dawn or work. This never occurred to me because for the past 10 years or so, I've been used to having the TV and computer set up in my bedroom. It seems like a simple thing, but I think it will help me get proper rest for a change.

My new job is challenging (good lord are a lot of people going to be focused on the results of my project), but one of the things I noticed is I've started to wear a watch again. Must indicate I am serious enough about it to show up on time.

The commute on the train is kind of pleasant. It's only a two blocks to the shuttle bus to the station or 15 minute walk to get to the train, and it was much better than the prospect of jamming into the rush-hour subway car, wall to wall with assholes and elbows. Can't wait until my iPod replacement arrives though.

I have to go back to the apartment to move out the remaining things and clean up. Among the crucial things left: my liquor cabinet, lamps, and all my right socks. All the left ones are here, can't seem to find any right ones.

It was a bit telling, that first night when I went to catch Pirates of the Caribbean 2 with friends. After the movie, I caught myself turning to go south to The City instead of north to the Burbs. Things sunk in. It may be stupid, but at least getting back to living in Toronto is a good solid goal to have. And having to drive to go anywhere is a bit ridiculous, I'll get used to it. Dare I say that I think this can work?

Your faithful 2scoops will continue blogging. It may be a bit sporadic while I settle into a new routine (did you know there was a 6 in the morning, as well as the evening?) and settle in. I have some painting and renovating to do in the home office, but I'll be back to full speed in no time.

And a quick thanks to all the folks who've been posting comments or mentioning in person they've been enjoying the blog. It means a lot to me.
Landed by Ben Folds

We'd hit the bottom
I thought it was my fault
And in a way I guess it was
I'm just now finding out
What it was all about

We moved to the west coast
Away from everyone
She never told me that you called
Back when I was still
I was still in love

Till I opened my eyes and walked out the door
And the clouds came tumbling down
And it's "bye-bye. Goodbye, I tried"
And I twisted it wrong just to make it right
I had to leave myself behind
And I've been flying high all night
So come pick me up
I've landed

The daily dramas
She made from nothing
So nothing ever made it right
She liked to push me
And talk me back down
Until I believed I was the crazy one
And in a way I guess I was

When I opened my eyes and walked out the door
And the clouds came tumbling down
And it's "bye-bye. Goodbye, I tried"
Treading the sea of her troubled mind
I had to leave myself behind
Singin' "bye-bye. Goodbye, I tried

If you wrote me off
I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on
Some other planet
So come pick me up
I've landed

And you will be so happy to know
I've come alone
It's over

I opened my eyes and walked out the door
And the clouds came tumbling down
And it's "bye-bye. Goodbye, I tried"
Down comes the reign of the telephone czar
It's ok to call
I will answer for myself
Come pick me up
I've landed
Categories:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that the move went well - we ended up going to Ottawa to visit with the inlaws and great grandma.

Mich