Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I don't have to work this New Year's Eve, or the day after, so I think it's time to suit up and hit it, don't quit it.

Here's the truth about New Year's Eve: it is never as good as you want it to be. You want a bachannal without a hangover, a soiree without the bling, a blow-out without the clean-up. But it never works that way. Someone has a fight, someone leaves early, someone kisses someone at midnight who isn't you. It just happens that way. That's not to say I haven't had some great New Year's Evea. The annual party my cousin Mark organized at the dear-departed BALMUTO'S TRIANGLE on Balmuto near the Manulife Centre in Toronto was always a highlight for me and my friends for 3 or 4 years. I smile when I look at those pictures.

The last few attempts at organizing an all-things for all people kind of night for my friends have met with floundering results. I still remember my fit when I discovered I would spend my New Year's at Crocodile Rock (wasn't my plan) when I was in my early-mid 20s, and felt uncomfortable most of the night. The year the Balmuto was sold and they had a (unknown to me) Rockabilly theme was a rough night, with an almost last-minute to midnight dash from the bar to find a more suitable spot.

My plans for this year involve going out and doing it in a style that suits me and my tastes. This year, I am going to pick something I want to do, and anyone who would like to join me is more than welcome.

This year I am considering checking out the New Year's House Party at the Drake Hotel this year. The venue has a good rep, the munchables are good, and the events planned look to border on sensory overload. It looks like 5 parties in one location. The price is reasonable ($40) compared to most clubs and bars, and there are other options in the Queen West neighborhood if things get tired. Click on poster for larger image.



+House Party General Admission 10pm-3am $40
Includes: A kick off Cocktail, Mixed Nibbles, Bubbly at Midnight, Party Tools, Fun on 3 Floors

So that's my plan: suit up, make a day of it, and then go the whole night and into the dawn of a New Year, and new possibilities. Shed the old year in style and joy, shake off the cobwebs of habit and regret, because it never needs to be like the old year. Let me know if you want to join me in the celebration.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad I missed the Crocodile Rock new yeawrs

And the Rockabilly night was fun (I still say we should have dashed to another bar that night)

I will let you know around Tuesday what the plan is for Emma and I

We might have a third join us for new years if we do decide to make it into Toronto.