Thursday, April 05, 2007

This is a question for everyone, but particularly my Foodie minded readers and friends.

Have you ever done every recipe in a cookbook? From cover to cover, hit each recipe at least once? And if not, which ones have you used the most?

Speaking as a bachelor, I recommend every guy learn how to use a cookbook. There's something appealing to a woman about a man who can cook. I think the most invaluable kitchen resource I have is the Complete Canadian Living Cookbook.There's about 350 recipes, so I don't know if I'd do the whole thing, but it's certainly the book I use most frequently. The recipes are easy to follow and allow variation, there's excellent info for new cooks about getting the right cooking equipment for your kitchen, how to make substitutions, and lots of tips. It's easy enough for a newbie, but is useful to the experienced cook. Easily the most useful book to tuck in with a wedding or housewarming gift.

If I made the effort, I'm sure I could knock out any of the Naked Chef line of cookbooks from end to end. I'd guess about 100 recipes in there, and there all do-able. I've used a few Nigella Lawson cookbooks, but the cookbook writer I tend to go to time after time is Donna Hay. The food looks pretty, tastes great, and are pretty straight forward. My recommendations are New Food Fast and Off the Shelf: Cooking from the Pantry .

So foodies, what are your picks for good cookbooks? Or do you manage to freestyle it?

A reminder that you don't need a Blogger account or to enter personal info to use the comments section.

2 comments:

Nikita said...

I can't remember which book I have, Crazy Plates or Looney Spoons, but I love it! It is a Canadian cook book by two women from Ottawa.

The food is a little more health conscious but not diet-obsessed. There are great tips and tidbits and a touch of humour throughout the book.

I have not tried all of the recipes yet but I have enjoyed all that I've tried. Our book is already ear-marked and covered in food stains. :) The soups are my favourite!

bill said...

Cookwise, Shirley O. Corriher. Not a ton of recipes, but everything is brilliant and it's one of the best books you can read to understand what cooking is.

Donna Hay is a recent favorite. I have a couple issues of her magazine and her collection The New Cook. I need to pick up her others. Nice range of simple to difficult recipes and everything I've made has been very good. Also, her books are gorgeously laid out and easy to follow. Might need to do some translation from Australian for some of the terms.

Rachel Ray gets a lot of crap, but her 30 minute recipes are usually quite good and often use fresh ingredients. Not her fault she's popular and perky.

There's the Cook's Illustrated books, which I assume are quite good. I subscribe to their website and buy the hardbound copies of each year's magazines.