Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I hear a voice, a voice no one else hears. And it says "Go see Stranger Than Fiction".

The voice also says clean my plate and tip generously. My narrator used to be a waiter.

Stranger Than Fiction is one of a handful of movies I look forward to seeing this fall. It stars Will Farrell in a not so typical Farrell role. Farrell plays an IRS agent named Harold Crick, who starts to hear a voice. The voice is narrating the minutiae of Harold's life, and it's the voice of the author (Emma Thompson) who thinks she's merely writing a book. She's convinced she needs to kill off her main character in order to finish the book. Harold is the main character, and he reacts understandably upset when he hears the words "imminent demise". Things get weird.

I enjoy existential comedies and the trailer reminded me of some of the funnier bits in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Groundhog Day, two of my favourite movies that balanced comedic actors with existential insecurities and dire consequences. Dustin Hoffman seems to be channeling the existential detective he played in I Heart Huckabees. Tony Hale (Buster from Arrested Development) and Queen Latifah have parts, and Maggie Gyllenhaal seems to be The Love Interest (yep, she's a favourite too). And the soundtrack? It's scored by Britt Daniel from one of my favourite bands, Spoon. This film seems to be playing a lot of my favourites.

Stranger Than Fiction opens November 10.



Apple - Trailers - STRANGER THAN FICTION

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great!