Tuesday, December 02, 2008

P1060149

Got invited to a marketing event/tasting for Ketel One Vodka, so J and K headed down to Czehoski on Queen. My only real experience with vodka has been casual, mixed in cocktails or drinks with the syllables "-tini" in it, so I was looking forwards to expanding my appreciation a fair bit.

Once we settled in to Czehoski, we had an informative little session with our Ketel One educator Beth-Anne: half-Irish, half-Maritimer, in her own words, marketing alcohol is a dream job. She covered the history of the brand, the process involved, and led us into the tasting.

Our vodka tasting contenders: Ketel One, Grey Goose, Absolut. That's two premium brands, one bar-rail brand.

A little whiff, a little taste, and damned if my first impression didn't stick. Grey Goose and Absolut met my previous expectations - tastes like booze and I need to mix it with something. The Ketel One was smooth enough to enjoy straight up. No word of a lie, I was sold on first sip. All that talk of filtering and distilling paid off.

After the tasting, we were treated to a cocktail. I swear, that was the best and smoothest martini I've had. The Ultimate Martini, just Ketel One vodka and two olive. That's it, simply delicious.

It's pretty smart to market a premium vodka like Ketel One (couple bucks more than Absolut, but cheaper than high end) at a time when the economy is nose-diving like it is and belts are tightening. You're going to see entertaining at home is a cheaper option that going out for drinks and dinner, and springing for a bottle of premium, like Ketel One, may soften the sense that you're "cheaping out" by staying in with a bottle of No Frills Vodka. If I'm entertaining at home, mixing up a few cocktails and tunes is my preferred way to go.

I've actually taken to ordering martinis since the event, and call it the "Don Draper/Mad Men" effect if you will, but it certainly makes an impression.

Kudos to Matchstick Promotions and Diageo for hosting a great event: food from Czehoski's was delicious, a couple of martini's, a gift bag, and a taxi slip to get home. That's a smart little promotion. Thanks to Beth-Anne for the hosting as well.

Damn those were good martinis.
Categories:

0 comments: