Thursday, December 11, 2008

BSS_DSC00180


As some of you may have heard, I had myself an interesting night when I was invited to The Dakota Tavern in Toronto to check out the the Basement Revue. It's the second annual installment of shows every Tuesday in the month of December with musician Jason Collett hosting and performing. The only Tuesday Jason couldn't make it was the December 9th show, which was hosted by Jason's bandmate in Broken Social Scene, Kevin Drew.

What started out as "come by and check out Kevin play Pavement cover-tunes with The Beauties" turned into one incredible night of performers. Among the people I met that night was a writer from the National Post, and our conversation, fuelled by beer and a love of Canadian indie music, turned into his review on the National Post website yesterday. I only had my cellphone camera with me (I am never leaving home without a proper camera again. Ever.) but some of the shots are on the Post's site, and the camera-phone pictures sort of work with a "you had to be there" feel of the night.

I'm seeing Stars tonight, so I'll post my own version of events tomorrow afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pics look pretty good for the cell phone Jay

Very cool!

enjoy the concert

mich

Anonymous said...

To continue where I left off when you first told me the story... I hate you you lucky bastard.

I'm soooo so so jealous!