Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I'm glad to see we finally got coffee machines in the office. We've been relying on the Tim Horton's downstairs for ages, and now we have one of those single-cup machines where you load a coffee/tea cartridge, drop in a quarter, then it brews and pours in 35 seconds. Neat, pretty fresh and it makes sense cost wise: with 600 people in the building, providing free coffee would get prohibitively expensive.

The added bonus is less snacking: whenever I go to the Tim Hortons, I feel easily tempted to get a muffin or donut. Now I can get my coffee without the temptation of an apple fritter or worse, the chocolate danish - it's the Mary Magdalene of pastries.

Unfortunately the kitchenette is about 20 feet from my desk and separated by a wall that only stops about 3 feet from the ceiling: I. Can. Hear. Everything.

Commence the running coffee commentary.

I'm going to be sitting through a week of exclamations of "Wow, look at the coffee machine" and "What's to stop someone from taking all the coffee cartridges?". Or people coming out of the kitchen and stopping at my desk to ask "Have you seen the new coffee machine? and "How wonderful is the new coffee machine?" and "Did you see 24 last night?"

And if I hear "How does it work?", I have to go over to show them. I don't have to do it, it's not like it's part of my job: what I mean is I AM COMPELLED TO SHOW THEM. I can't resist the question "How does does it work?" or "How do I do this?", it's like an automatic response for me to answer "I'll show you." Probably why I'm a trainer. It's all very Pavlovian.

I also feel compelled to show them after 2 minutes of "But where does it..." and "Is it supposed to..." and "That doesn't look right..", or because at minute number 3 I will likely burst into the kitchen, ranting as I go "It's coffee! It's just coffee! Cripes, it's not difficult, it's not a half-caf soy mocha latte with light whip and sugarless sugar, it's coffee!"

Maybe I drink too much coffee?
Categories:

1 comments:

bill said...

Sounds like you need this