Monday, January 08, 2007

This year saw a number of my favourite restaurants and bars close down. They were all pretty reliable for a date, a casual get-together, or birthdays. I hadn't realized so many had shut down until I looked at the list:

  • Montreal Bistro, perennial Toronto jazz bar
  • Cobalt on College was a cozy funky spot for drinks and hosted Easy Tiger, an anything goes DJ night of mostly indie and Brit pop.
  • Oasis on College, a fun space with tasty tapas and jugs of sangria
  • I could have sworn Cafe Margaux, the french bistro (also on College - I wonder if that's a sign of things to come?) was closed and had a new name when I went by last month. Any confirmation?
  • Accordion Guy and Blog TO confirm that Gypsy Co-op on Queen shut down over the holidays. Some of you may remember it as the bar/restaurant with a candy store in the front entrance. I thought they were still thriving, with a terrific old-skool night Never Forgive Action, but apparently the owner can't afford the upkeep. The obituary is here.
These places may not have been as chic as the late and lamented Sassasfraz, but I miss having them around. And while not eateries, we also lost the Festival Cinema group and The Revue in particular. The Royal on College has since reopened, but no new buyer has been found for The Revue, which is still on the market.

Now I better go and make sure C'est What and Queen Mother Cafe are still open...

0 comments: