Friday, June 27, 2008

An always pleasant topic of conversation these days is the rising cost of gas. These days $20 barely gets a VW Golf a quarter tank. I'm getting nostalgic for the days when I paid less the a buck a litre.

But with all your money sucked into the gas tank, what are you cutting out of your budget? This was prompted by a comic reviewer I read mentioning that with it costing $70 to fill his tank, he's cutting back on comic book purchases and being more selective in the quality of the ones he does pay for. And I imagine it's the same for other "entertainment" purchases - music, books, games, movies. I'm going to be more likely to dish out $12 to see Iron Man than The Love Guru if we're talking value for the buck.

Maybe these gas hikes may have a domino effect and consumers will demand more bang for the buck, be unwilling to risk their diminished dollar on entertainment that may not deliver, and create a demand for higher quality products.

So how are you coping with the cost of gas? Cutting back on magazines? Doing more downloading of music to "try before you buy"? Taking public transit more? Or is the thought of moving closer to your workplace a lot more tempting these days?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been riding my bike more often, doing grocery runs only once a week and sharing rides when possible.

Normally, I can make it a month on a tank of gas, except I need to go on a road trip tomorrow which will necessitate at least one full tank. And I know from anecdotal evidence that the high cost of gas is keeping a lot of people from wandering very far afield this summer.

Unknown said...

I believe the buzzword being thrown about in the media this summer is the "stay-cation".

Anonymous said...

Well, The library's a great place to stock up on books and movies to enjoy on stay-cations, and other fun summer events! [/end unsubtle work pitch]

brokenengine said...

I don't own a car, so I don't really have it effect me, except with the rising cost of food.

If you check out my blog, I just posted a scary article about all of this.

brokenengine said...

This (from 'The Guardian') could answer some of your question:

US economy: Starbucks to close 600 stores in US

Starbucks Corporation said today it will close 600 company-operated US stores in the next year, up dramatically from its previous plan for 100 closures, a sign the coffee shop operator is still feeling the pain from the faltering US economy.

Starbucks said in a statement that 70% of the stores to be closed were opened after the start of 2006. The locations set to close include ones that "were not profitable and not projected to provide acceptable returns in the foreseeable future", it said.

About 12,000 workers will be affected by the closings, which are expected to take place over the next year, according to Valerie O'Neill, a spokeswoman for the company.

O'Neill said most of the employees will be moved to nearby stores, but she did not know exactly how many jobs will be lost.

The company predicted related charges will add up to $328m to $348m, but said that after income tax benefits and other changes, it expects to pay about $100m.

Starbucks also cut the number of company-operated stores it will open in fiscal 2009 in half, to fewer than 200. The company did not adjust its plan to open fewer than 400 stores in 2010 and 2011.

In May, Starbucks said its second-quarter profit sank 28% and that US consumers cut back on visits in light of rising food and gas prices.

As of the end in March, there were 16,226 Starbucks stores around the world, including 7,257 company-operated stores in the US.

Unknown said...

i'm not really worrying about coping, seeing as how i don't drive. but i am hating all the extra people clogging up the keele bus to save money on gas!

Anonymous said...

I get unlimited free gas, courtesy of a blue wallet-sized plastic card.

*holds up keyboard in front of face* Don't hurt me!

I dislike driving and therefore I rarely do, so it doesn't matter much to me. TTC and my own two feet, baby.

As for the Starbucks story--in addition to local food, local crafts, it's all about local Starbucks, local employees.