Wednesday, March 28, 2007

This isn't a post to say I don't like The Fray. There's a couple of songs I liked on that last album, and they got a lucrative career ahead of them in the booming "Songs To Play Over A Montage on a Medical Show" genre ( I'm confident that section will be in HMV and iTunes shortly, where you'll also find Snow Patrol, Coldplay, and Damien West).

But damn, they just won't stop playing "How to Save A Life" aka The Grey's Anatomy song on the radios in my workplace. Thank God for my headphones, but 4 times daily is just too much Fray. It's like when that one really good song comes out in the summer gets played to death, like "Hey Ya!" by Outkast or "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. I recommend re-visiting "Hey Ya!" and slowly re-introduce it into your music rotation. It's a remarkable song with some insane rhythms, and it's been long enough that you don't hear it as often. A little too recent to sit through "Crazy" just yet, maybe next year.

And while we're on the subject, why am I hearing Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen" daily now? I thought I left that tune back in the 80s, along with Smurfs and the lawn darts that were actually darts. I know that there's a funny running gag in the show Everybody Hates Chris, which is set in the 80s, with the little sister being a huge Billy Ocean fan while everyone else is into Michael Jackson. And same on Scrubs:
J.D.'s narration: (While listening to Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen) Ah Billy! After the Arctic and the Pacific, you're my favourite ocean.
Is Billy due for a William Shatner-like resurgence?

Links: YouTube - Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen
Categories: , ,

0 comments: