Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Following a comment a friend made the other day that she thinks it makes more sense to marry software than a man, I thought I would take a survey and come up with the pro and con arguments:

Software Better Than Men Pros (thanks for the input Nikita):


  • Will respond to input
  • Can be debugged
  • Can be upgraded to a better version
  • Will not be obsessed with sports or anything else unless you program it that way
  • Can follow directions
  • Comes with a manual and help commands
  • Only need to be reminded once about anniversaries and birthdays
Some Areas Where Software Falls Short (thanks me):


  • Software won't notice how nice you look in those shoes
  • Software doesn't dance
  • Software won't pick up the dry cleaning
  • Software may recommend a good movie, but never springs for popcorn
  • Software doesn't know massage
  • And I have yet to find software that makes a good martini. They always add too much vermouth.

We'll leave out the obvious "physical" shortcomings of software. That's more of a hardware issue and frankly, a little harder for us to argue against.

2 comments:

Nikita said...

I feel I have to explain myself... I was not the friend who thought it would be better to marry software then a man. I was just giving reasons why she may feel that way. :)

I am actually quite happy with my man and since I'm a software tester I know how buggy software actually is.

Unknown said...

Yes, Nikita is an innocent 3rd party, and has no plan to replace her husband with Windows Vista. Now when Apple finally releases Jaguar/OS, then we'll look again...