Thursday, June 15, 2006

Some of you know, some of you don't - I'm going to move next month. And I think it's a good thing. Well, that's what i keep repeating to myself, so I'll believe it eventually.

My roommates are both shacking up with their significant others. Apparently living with me brings couples closer together, cause this is the 4th or 5th time this has happened. 5 roommates over 4 years and they all went off and hooked up. So I had to ask myself "Jay, do you go through the process of interviewing roomies again?" Well no, because if it happens again I'd have to open a dating agency. I used up all my "good roommate karma" with the last pair of super duper roomies, and I just think it's time to move on to something new, even if it mean giving up the super apartment.

Change is good, it means that nothing is going to stay stagnant, so I have things to work out.

I have some job possibilities that are developing, which create opportunities. The easy answer is every path is open, but the hard question is which path and how many kidneys will that map cost me.

So where do I go? Where do any of us go - home. Or more specifically my Dad's place in The Burbs. I know I know, such a cliche, moving back to the parent's place. But it's the smart thing to do right now if I am going to be able to get my own place sooner rather than later - later being retirement age. A little limited freedom will allow a lot more unrestricted freedom down the road. I am a city boy at heart, so, I’ll be downtown every chance I get. If I get back to my dad’s place I may reconsider things and consider a change of scenery to a new city. Who knows…

Will living in the suburbs drive me crazy? A distinct possibility. That's why I am limiting this move to 6-8 months at the most. Come spring, I am back downtown, hopefully back in Roncesvalles or the west end or some new city entirely. Maybe. The "maybe" is why I need to do this now, I need to get my bearings and figure out a direction to go in. Whether I end up back in Toronto or some other city, or some other country, becomes an actual possibility if rent isn't giving my budget a beating for a couple of months.

But trust me, I am going to be downtown just as much as before. I can't deal with:
  • having to drive from one store to another rather than takiing public transit or walking.
  • 8 franchised restaurants open until 11 rather than 100 open until dawn.
  • a music scene consisting of bar bands who believe they are going to be the next Nickleback (ech, sorry, threw up in my mouth a little).
  • the only patio to hang out on is the one at the Starbucks.
My life isn't in the burbs, but for now, my home is. What comes next? Well, keep checking here and maybe we'll find out together... maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down, until tomorrow I'll just keep moving on.*


P.S. - By the way, since I'm moving to The Burbs - is having a Costco card mandatory?
P.P.S. - Littlest Hobo? Well, as I say, always leave them laughing...

Update: Read the comments from one of my old roommates

2 comments:

liam said...

You're giving up that kickin' apartment?! Are you mad? Just kidding (I've known you're mad from day one.)

Sorry to hear that the place will be handed over to a bunch of strangers. As a graduate of your roommate dating service, I have to say the you are doing a disservice to all those future roomies who are are on the journey to shacking up with their significant other. Have you thought of them? Where are they going to live while they figure out if they really want to live with their gf/bf? It's a sad day for single folks everywhere (well, maybe just Toronto singles.)

But a happy day for the Hill - they'll benefit from your wit, style and urbane sense of humour. And don't worry about the living with the parents thing - we've all had to do it to get everything together. That's what parents are for.

At least your dad now has someone to mow the lawn and paint the deck this summer. He must be overjoyed.

Unknown said...

The worst part about leaving is that I give up Alpha-Roommate status - I'll never know the joy of having the Big Bedroom.

Single people can fend for themselves, that's what Lavalife, Jagermeister, and low self-esteem are for.

Moving Home was my official Fathers Day gift. Just kidding, I gave him a tie. A tie with "I'm Moving Home" written on it.

I actually looked forward to mowing the lawn, I find it very meditative to put on some music on the ipod and smell the fresh cut grass, until that fateful day I willingly put Nickleback on, look around and realize I fit it, and hurl myself into the whirling blades. But I could never do that - I still have to build a deck.