Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I mentioned a few days ago that the new album by Stars, In Our Bedroom After the War, would be coming out September 25th. In an interesting move, the album has been released digitally (and legally) two months early. I noticed the album pop up in my latest iTunes email, and had to re-read it to make sure it wasn't merely an advanced order. Nope, it's the full album.

If you go onto iTunes or the Stars' label Arts & Crafts' store you can buy the full album now rather than wait for the CD to come out in September. This is an interesting move made to thwart digital leaks and illegal downloads; most albums are leaked online a full 2 - 3 months before their release date, depriving the label of significant record sales. Hopefully other labels will follow suit, as I like this approach. I'll be buying it this week for sure. Pitchfork has the story on why the label chose to make this particular move.
Categories:

0 comments: