Monday, October 15, 2007

J.J. Abrams, the man who brought you 'Lost' and 'Alias' is producing and directing a rebirth of the Star Trek franchise with a new movie set during the early years of Kirk and company. The Star Trek franchise has been pretty quiet since the end of 'Star Trek: Enterprise' in 2005, and the lackluster box-office draw of 'Star Trek: Nemesis' back in 2002.

The new movie, simply titled "Star Trek" will bring back Leonard Nimoy as Spock, in what I would suspect is a framing device/hand-off as old Spock relates an adventure of young Spock. Think of it as "How I Met Your Shanter", set in the early first-mission days of the original Star Trek crew.

The cast so far is interesting to say the least:

Zachery Quinto (Sylar on 'Heroes') as young Spock, Anton Yelchin as Russian navigaotor Pavel Chekov, Zoë Saldaña ('Guess Who') as communication officer Uhura. Last week eye brows were raised as John Cho (Harold from the 'Harold & Kumar' films) would play helmsman Sulu, and Simon Pegg ('Shaun of the Dead', 'Spaced', 'Hot Fuzz') would play ship's engineer Scotty. I should point out that while Cho and Pegg are known for comedic roles, both have the range to play drama and have shown signs of this in their work. Eric Bana is onboard as the villain of the film, but story details have not been revealed.

The roles of Captain Kirk and Doctor "Bones" McCoy are uncast at this writing. "Star Trek" is set to film from November - March, and open Christmas 2008.
Categories:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The casting of Pegg as Scotty made me unreasonably happy for some reason. And I think Quinto will be a great Spock. And Chris... Lane? Don't remember - is being talked about for Kirk.

Unknown said...

I think Pegg has the chops to carry the role if drama is called for: there are moments in Spaced and Shaun of the Dead that were genuinely moving.

The last actor I heard up for Kirk was Chris Pine, who doesn't really have anything particularly ground-breaking on his resume. I suppose he looks the part. But whenever I think of an unknown actor cast in a big iconic role, I keep saying "Hayden Christiansen as Darth Vadar" and then try to wash the taste out of my mouth.

I'd have loved to see Gary Sinise as McCoy: he's supposed to be older then the rest of the crew by a decade or so.

I wonder: does whomever plays "Young Kirk" play it as Kirk, or Shatner-esque?

Anonymous said...

Sinse would be great as McCoy - he can pull off that world-weary, why-do-I-work-with-idiots? schtick.

And don't let Christiansen ruin the experience of a first-time actor in a major role. Lucas has a lot to answer for as a director, and may have been behind that fiasco.

Unknown said...

The unknown actor thing works sometimes: some favourite performanes by actors I hadn't seen before include Hugh Grant as Wolverine and Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean Hugh Jackman as Wolverine? Although Hugh Grant would have been hilarious as Wolverine - all stuttery and floppy and adorably shy :)

And they've announced who's playing McCoy: Karl Urban, the actor who played Eomer in the LotR movies. Meh, I don't see it - I'm still imaging Sinese in that role.

Unknown said...

"Hugh Grant" as Wolverine. Flip, what a mistake LOL