Sunday, February 03, 2008


I was the willing guinea pig in an experiment on cupcake shipping - my friend Nikita baked a batch of Pina Colada cupcakes and wanted to see if her shipping method would work. As you can see from the photos, her cupcakes arrived from Ottawa safe and sound and delicious.




The Package arrived safe and sound. Once the box was open I discover a secure interior with foam and newspapers. It's either cupcakes or a brick of ... wait, was "cupcakes" a code word? Let's just open the foil and find out.
They're alive - through the outer casing, it appears the cupcakes are unharmed. Nikita advised me she froze them prior to shipping. Piercing the outer shell... it's cupcake kevlar!



... the cupcakes are whole and un-smooshed.


I've just finished an 16 hour day at work - needless to say, I'm looking forward to this.


First bite, no ice or freezer burn - deeelicious! It's a basic vanilla cupcake and filled each one with a thick and gooey pineapple filling made from ripe pineapple, and topped off with coconut buttercream frosting.




And it's a thumbs up from the judges - the2scoops seal of approval! Thanks Nikita! Cupcakes were delicious and undamaged after one day in transit. Now the next experiment should be to see if you can do it just as safe, but cheaper shipping costs.
Categories:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another experiment? You just want more cupcakes. :)

Unknown said...

I didn't mean to imply a need for cupcakes, that's a chocolaty assumption on your part ;)

From the looks of it the package cost $10 to ship six cupcakes. I was just wondering if it's possible to do it for cheaper (or more cupcakes and same shipping cost)

Anonymous said...

The filling added a lot of extra weight to the cupcakes so I imagine regular cupcakes would cost less to ship. I could likely find a smaller sized box that would also reduce costs.

I also think that frozen cupcakes that are shipped overnight, in January, and which are thawed out by the time they arrive are likely to not survive shipping like this outside of the winter season.

Any suggestions? :)

Anonymous said...

CUPCAKES!

So, like... does Nikita require more participants for her experiments?

(By the way, hi Jason. I remember you. :P )

Unknown said...

hi BHG! I remember you too - I'll be sure to keep you in mind if Nikita expands her testing group. It could be like those Biovall ads - looking for participants non-smoker, free of daily medication and must have no aversions to butter-cream frosting.

Unknown said...

hi BHG! I remember you too - I'll be sure to keep you in mind if Nikita expands her testing group. It could be like those Biovall ads - looking for participants non-smoker, free of daily medication and must have no aversions to butter-cream frosting.